Westlink – High Containment Crash Barrier, Citygate off slip, Belfast
The above project required the installation of piles either side of several live fibreoptic cables from a very restricted 3m lane adjacent to the 4 lane section of motorway.
Tension piles were required and we installed full length Gavi bars to these piles with top pull out tension plates (see photos)
We installed the piles over a 3 day period with our rig parked 300mm from the live carriageway, inside temporary containment barriers.
- 11 No 118mm DCI piles to 132kN compression loading
- 16 N0 118mm DCI piles to 63kN tension loading with full length reinforcing
- Piles up to 10m long
- Piles driven either side of live fibre optic cables
- Restricted site only 3.5m wide adjacent to the Westlink on which traffic was flowing continually unrestricted
- Main contractor – John McQuillan Contracts
- Engineer – Albert Fry Associates
See the following youtibe videos for pile installation.